Thursday, January 17, 2008

SIZE MATTERS

Its 2008 and SIZE does matter

Allow me to introduce myself….if you are an avid reader of “Dump the Chump” or “Lemon Gloria” you may know me as Lauren.

A little about me…..I am a late 30’s single mom currently employed in the insurance industry. Much like anyone with two eyes, a heartbeat, a mortgage to pay and a job…..I have frustrations. My very close friend “Almost Free” suggested I start a blog to help me vent some of my frustrations. Usually when I embark on a “cleansing vent” she is very entertained. I hope that if nothing else I can make you giggle and take comfort in the fact that challenges in life just mean that you are alive.

I have come to the conclusion in the past 2 weeks that sizes of things matter. A few of the things that are eating at me are 1.) the size of my salary decrease in 2008 2.) The size of the claims that have been paid out of my book of business thus far in 08 3.) The size of the humongous pain in the ass the “new guy” in my life has become….and the sad fact that his “size” is lacking (now you knew I could not write about size and not go there). 4.) The size of the headache my idiot boss gives me. 5.) The size of the pea brain in the football size head of my sons father 6.) The size of my butt

I opened my first paycheck of the year and to my surprise found that my annual salary had gone down and not up…..hummmmm. You see with the company I work for they start you out with an attractive salary and then punish you over the years for ever starting to work for them.

4 years ago when I started with this company I had a wonderful boss, my future looked bright and I was pumped! I loved the work, loved going to work and couldn't wait to tell the world (or at least everyone in the state that I live in) that I had arrived in the industry and was GOING to make a difference. The first year was good. The second year was ok and now after finishing my 3rd year of selling I have just become fed up with the office politics, my boss (who is not the original boss – I am not sure but I think this one was purchased on a Blue Light Special and more than likely has a pull string on his back as he is incapable of forming thoughts that make sense much less sentences that even remotely answer what ever question was asked.)

I broke him in early. I remember our first one on one meeting…..It was supposed to be a “getting to know each other and what are your goals for 2006?” I remember him asking me questions that made it quite obvious that he did not look over my track record from the year before and in all honesty…..IT PISSED ME OFF. In one meeting it felt like he took every accomplishment I made away from me. One thing that anyone who knows me would tell you is that “If there is one thing you do not want to do…..it’s piss Lauren off”. I recall how my first meeting with Charlie aka Ass Clown ended. After about 30 minutes of my blood boiling from hearing him spew his Used Car Man selling strategies he delivered the question…..”Where do you see yourself in 5 years”.

I answered this question honestly “I have no idea Charlie, it really all depends.”

“Depends on what?”

“Depends on the money of course”

He looked baffled and perplexed and even blushed a little….Who did he think he was talking to???? Mother Theresa? Had I signed up for the Red Cross comp plan somewhere along the line? I mean seriously – who goes to work in hopes of not making money? Certainly no one in sales and most certainly NOT ME!

So I wrapped up the meeting by saying “Best I can tell you about my future is it is much like my past…..I came in here looking for a job and my guess is I will leave the same way”.

I watched him squirm as he knew that out of all the reps he had on his team, I was going to be the defiant one.

I smiled a little on the inside as I stared him down. I recalled something that an X-boyfriend had taught me…..It is impossible to punish or control someone that just doesn’t care.

4 comments:

Lemon Gloria said...

Welcome to the blogworld! This is so very YOU!

Double D's Daughter said...

Thanks Lisa, it looks like fun so I thought what the heck!

Finally Free said...

Welcome, Lauren!!

Too bad you can't pull that string and hear, "Your salary is tripled this year!"

Double D's Daughter said...

Hey Almost.....How about it! Its ok. Resume is ready and so am I :)