Tuesday, February 19, 2008

hello NOT fabulous

Yesterday I had my follow up appointment to get the results of the blood work taken 10 days ago. I showed up for my 1:00 appointment at 12:30 (Because if I am 15 minutes early, I am running late). The receptionist looked really confused and told me they did not have me on the schedule. I thought “Oh jeez, what did I do?” she asked me if I had the appointment card, I told her yes and sure as I was standing there…I was wrong. I had an appointment on January 18th and apparently thought it would be fun to write it down for February 18th.

I am doing fine on the Chantix (it is not effecting my liver at all – I would have thought the test would have come back different by the amount of red wine I have consumed in the last 3 months alone) but she is concerned about my cholesterol, its quite high. Then she went into talking about my BWI (Body Weight Index), she said something about me being a 25 and they like to see people more in the 18 – 22 range. She looked at me up and down and kinda scratched her head. I asked her why she was looking at me like she was. She told me to just give her a sec and she re-checked my chart and then looked at me and said I think if you lose about 5 or 10 lbs it will make a big difference in your cholesterol. I giggled and said I was thinking more like 30 lbs.

You see, I am not extremely tall (5’8”) but I always wear high heels bringing me to 6’ so people often think I am thinner than I am. She took out her calculator and started figuring what I should weigh for my height and low and behold….I was right, I need to lose 30 lbs and she has given me 3 months to do it. I am actually OK with this. I have been trying to find a way to make working out a priority in my life and now I guess the Doc made it a priority for me.

All I kept thinking was that I wanted to introduce myself to everyone in the parking lot as “Hello I am Not Fabulous, I need to lose 30 lbs and my LDL is 152…what’s your story?”

5 comments:

Lemon Gloria said...

No, no, and more NO. You ARE fabulous. And you are tall, and as soon as you are working out regularly, the weight is going to fall off. If you want to start lifting weights - like, light hand weights, which I personally love, I'm happy to chat about easy exercises. Big hugs to you.

Sarah said...

Seconded with the fabulousness!

And really? There are so many worse health problems to have, and your's are solve-able.

I wish you lots of luck and motivation!!!!

Double D's Daughter said...

Thanks girls. I am already on board with the changes so no where to go but up from here:)

Finally Free said...

I agree with Lisa and Sarah! Super fabulous, are you joking?!?! (Remember the baseball game we attended in which you might have made the opposing team lose because they couldn't take their eyes off of you, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Isn't 24 considered "healthy"? What gives? I realize that 18-22 is *also* healthy, but 18 is really more toward the end of "nearly underweight. Sheesh