Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Search and Rescue Mission

I so look forward to my annual check up (or at least getting it out of the way). Nothing has been new in years. As a matter of fact I am counting the days until a doctor will agree to permanently block any swimmers from entering my ocean (if you know what I mean). In the mean time I am sporting an IUD, the copper coil to be exact. Every year since I have had it in the conversation with the doctor has been the same.

“How is everything going?”

“Good”

“Oh, here is the string, everything looks good. See ya next year.”

I just took her word for it. I have never seen it or felt it so I just assumed that it was something that only people with MD at the end of their name could see. Much like only children can see their imaginary friends, but I believe they can see them because I had one as a child and “The Clown” was REAL.

Well today, there was no string. She asked me if I noticed anything that looked strange coming out. I told her “No, I’ve seen a few strange looking things go in but nothing strange came out”. Keep in mind I said this with the utmost honesty and completely straight thoughtful expression and it wasn’t until after I said it that I realized how it sounded. She started laughing hysterically and once she caught her breath, told me that I would need to get an Ultra Sound done so the string/IUD could be located.

The irony of me being the lucky one to get a playful IUD, I guess it got bored.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, so sorry!

I've been thinking about an IUD for awhile, but it's things like this that make me just keep thinking. And, I've got no problem with the pill, other than it'd be nice to not have to remember everyday. However, I've got to remember the allergy medicine everyday, too, or I don't breathe, so it's all about the same either way.

Good luck finding it!

Double D's Daughter said...

Thanks Sarah. For the most part for the 6 years I have had it in I have had no side effects. They have a newer one on the market now that is supposed to be really good.

Thanks for the luck on the search and rescue mission though:)

Lemon Gloria said...

A few strange things go in - hahahahaha! As for locating it and removing it, I'm sure it won't be a big deal.

Finally Free said...

"I've seen a few strange things go in"?!?! LMFAO!!!! The string probably shrank in terror from, *ahem*, a certain man in a southern state, LOL!