Thursday, February 28, 2008

Mistaken Identity

I had to meet a client yesterday to give him papers for a refinance closing happening on Monday. He is actually one of my favorite clients. Nice guy, divorced, two kids, very smart and really high energy. He is very personable and easy to talk to so we have somewhat become friends (not good friends, the kind that talk about every 6 months, he only has my work contact info).

I met him at a Brewery/Restaurant about 10 minutes from my office for lunch. I am not drinking any alcohol these days so I had 3 Club Soda’s with lime while he had 2 glasses of Pinot Noir. We chatted for a while and after we said our Good bye’s I went to the washroom. As I was heading to the door I heard a man’s voice say “Lauren?”, I turned and looked at him totally confused.

“Yes”

“My god you are so much prettier in person”

At this point I am totally confused, I have no idea who this person is, how he knows my name, who he is, although he is totally my type. I am sure the look of confusion on my face was making this poor man uncomfortable. Finally I broke the silence that was probably no longer than 10 seconds (felt like an hour).

“Do I know you?”

“He said Oh My Gosh, you are not Lauren from Match.com are you?”

For a split second I wanted to be Lauren from Match.com but took the honest route.

“No hon, I am sorry to say I am not, but since you know my name, what is yours?”

He stared deep into my eyes with such a disappointed look and said

“Mike, my name is Mike. Are you married?”

“No, definitely not married”

Just then a girl walked in fitting my description pretty well wearing almost my exact outfit (hence why he thought I was her). I saw her enter and said.

“I think the Lauren you are meeting just arrived”.

He turned around and looked at her. Turning back to me he said

“I hate the internet dating thing, and where do I meet a girl like you anyway?”

I pulled my business card out of my wallet and handed it to him…”You just did”

6 comments:

Lemon Gloria said...

That's a fantastic story! I love it! Love it love it love it!

Double D's Daughter said...

I wonder how his date with the other Lauren went.

Finally Free said...

That is so badass! I love that he probably thought of you the entire date!

Sarah said...

um, i love that finally free has a new name.

and has he called??

Inquiring (nosy) strangers want to know.

Double D's Daughter said...

he called and left a message yesterday. I have not called him back yet. I have an interview this afternoon for a position I really want and am just focusing positive energy on that right now. If its meant to be, it will be. Can't force it...can't stop it:)

Sarah said...

Go you! Way to go after what you want!